Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Self portrait Tuesday


This is my first time participating in Self Portrait Tuesday . I like the concept and figured it's easy enough to take a picture of myself once a week. So I thought! This month's challenge is reflective surfaces. It did make my day quite interesting noticing exactly how many items in our world reflect our image back at us. I chose to take a picture in this mirror, because it is located on the far wall of our main living area. I was intrigued by the thought that so much of my daily life is reflected back in this mirror. I love how this picture reflects one "ordinary" moment during my day.

I've always been inspired by Jim Brandenburg's "Chased by the Light" project. He took only one photo a day in the northwoods for 90 days. The results are stunning. While I'm not a professional photographer, I still think it would be fun to have a photo documentary of my life right now with two young children running circles around me. I've always wanted to give myself a goal to take a picture a day for a year. I think it would be really telling to see what I decide to take that one picture of for the day and how putting them all together would really encapsulate the year. Hmm....I smell a New Year's Resolution brewing!

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

I love that idea of a photo a day! And then at the end of the year see all the changes!

la vie en rose said...

a resolution brewing indeed!!! i got your e-mail and i'm working on the response but i wanted to go ahead and check out your site. cool and welcome to the world of blogging. back when oprah first started her magazine there was an issue that featured carly simon. she takes a photo a day with a polaroid camera and keeps them all in a scrapbook to document her life. i thought that was a fantastic idea (minus the polaroid part because you'd have to be making pretty good money from the royalties of anticipation and you're so vain in order to be able to afford the film). i stuck with it for several months and then it kind of dwindled. but i can say that during that time you can see a definite improvement in my photography skills and i became more aware of life around me. so i think it's a lovely idea. more to come in the e-mail...