Friday, February 24, 2006

Getting right down to it

{Day Four} As always, I turn to books to gather morsels of wisdom for the journey. But without doing the work, the words go right through me.

Today's theme in my art journal for Rhonna's 21 day challenge is EFFORT. I found yesterday that it wasn't about what I was thinking while I was sitting, it was about just putting in the effort, the good work of going for it. My first reaction when doing something new or going back to something long forgotten is to read about it. Look for answers in a book. In creating my meditation habit, I immediately wanted to grab all my favorite books on mindfulness and simplicity and devour them. This is fine and all, but what I really needed to be doing was sitting on the cushion...doing the work...or in this case doing nothing at all! So I did just that. No matter how short of time I have to meditate, I devote some time each day.

However, since I am a librarian, I feel obligated to give some book recommendations:) Here are some of my favorite books and authors on living the mindful life:

Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh~ my personal favorite is Being Peace

Wherever you go, there you are by Jon Kabat-Zinn

The Wooden Bowl by Clark Strand

A Path with Heart by Jack Kornfield

Everyday Sacred, Plain and Simple and Stretching Lessons by Sue Bender


6 comments:

Rhonna said...

Wow!
Just
WOW!

I am really, really loving your entries...you have no idea how much you inspire me...I just want to soak up each page...your journaling, ,themes...wow.

you are doing so great...keep it up!@
we can do it!
R

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your habit journal!!! I love (and am jealous of) the patterned paper you used (have had mine pre-ordered since CHA.) I love your theme and can relate to you on so many levels! Email me anytime! My habit journal is at http://tiffanyscrapmatrix.typepad.com/tiffany_scrap_matrix/.

Tiff said...

Your journal is so awesome! I love all of the details! This is really going to end up being a journal that's going to be cool to look back at. Love this!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! Love the soft colors ;-)

Christi said...

Love the theme that you chose for today! AWESOME journal!!!

sharma said...

You are So inspiring! I can absolutely relate to wanting to read about things - I seem to find that I do that a lot instead of Getting down to it - I feel like I always need more information! I am loving you entries - I like that you have diffrenet themes - excellent work!