Sunday, January 28, 2007

Cabinet of Curiosities {Wonder}


Ok, here we go with prompt #4....does that really mean this is the half way point!?! Thank you for such amazing feedback on these challenges. All of your work is so inspiring and real. If you're still working on other prompts, or just getting started, please don't feel like you're behind or that it's too late. This Cabinet of Curiosities project is meant to be done at your own pace. However you work best.

That being said, now we're going to think about the concept of wonder.....

won·der (wŭn'der) n.
One that arouses awe, astonishment, surprise, or admiration; a marvel.

The emotion aroused by something awe-inspiring, astounding, or marvelous.
An event inexplicable by the laws of nature; a miracle.

We're going to look at the first definition in regards to art. Who or what is it that inspires you...give you a sense of awe and admiration? This could be a particular artist or maybe something outside in the natural world. Think about a certain style you enjoy, or maybe a pattern or a color pallete. We are going to do a little "lifting" today.

In the scrapbooking world, "scraplifting" or the new term "scrapjacked" is popular. There's even a whole new blog by this name that you can check out here, it looks like a lot of fun! They defined this process as taking a scrapbookers (or other artists) style and "take their style hostage" and come up with your own take on their designs. Reinvent.

For our challenge I would like to open this concept up to lifting any sort of art or concept that arises a sense of wonder in you. Find a certain piece of art that you love. Go outside and be inspired by something in the natural world. Take this concept and go where you want with it. Have fun. Make it your own. Challenge yourself.

I have been very inspired by the work of Lauren Mumford. She does some amazingly creative things with vintage objects and creates her own Cabinets of Curiosities, of sorts. Check out some of her fabulous work below.
Artwork above by Lauren Mumford
I was especially in awe of these amazing glittery box creations by Lauren (below). So I took this as my inspiration and "art jacked" it and came up with my own version. This was really a lot of fun and as you get going, it'a amazing how your own style and creative ideas blossom and the piece becomes truly your own. Can't wait to see what artists you all pick and the amazing pieces you come up with. Go....have fun....and art jack someone!!!

P.S. I'm a librarian, so I always have a book to recommend:) I came across this book called The Art of Wonder: A History of Seeing by Julian Spalding when "researching" for this post. I ordered a used copy and just got it yesterday. It looks absolutely wonderful. (pun intended!) "This book tells the story of wonder- how our wonder gave rise to our religious beliefs, to our arts and sciences, and to many of our social structures."

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love those boxes, and yours is FabulouS!!!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Hello hello, I just finished my #3 and I'm already "Wondering" what I'm going to do next. You guys are really keeping me on task. I'm loving it.
Sharon@norah'S

Anonymous said...

Holy ca-moly girl!!! Those boxes are so awesome, you are so talented. You took an idea and totally made it your own, and I love your wedding one. What a sweet way to remember memories!

Fiona said...

Lot's of food for thought in this challenge. Those boxes are brill but Lauren's doll head freaks me out a little.......

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

Your box came out fantastically!!! Just gorgeous! I love making things like that too!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW!! Your box is absolutely beautiful! So much inspiration - I am looking forward to this!!

Latharia said...

Great inspiration! :)

beth said...

Once again...I was able to take your prompt and run with it. What a fun word and my page is done and on my blog !!!
www.seasidedreamer.blogspot.com

And the boxes....FABULOUS !!! I might just have to try something like that myself one of these days.

Holly Loves Art said...

Your box is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could see it in person. What a talent! I also got my moo cards recently and just love them. Aren't they fun?

Monica said...

Hi Kari!
I just finished posting #3.
I'm in love with your box! So gorgeous! I'm enjoying these challenges so much! Got to start thinking on this new one!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh I could just melt Kari!!!

Some of your most fabulous work to date!!! Really beautiful!! Truly truly love it!!

XOXO Jenny

Jen Kershner said...

Karr- Those are just fantastic! I love the way yours turned out.

Nerissa Alford said...

WOW! My jaw is on the floor. Thanks so much for the inspiration! I may have to venture and try a box as well.
Thank you so much to you and Bonnie for hosting this. It is the first time I have ventured out like this and done a challenge and I'm having a ball!
Nerissa

Bonnie said...

Adore you project Kari! That box is amazing!!!!

lindaharre said...

This "cake-ette" is beautiful! I too love Lauren's work! I hope she comes back to blogging sometime soon! I also read your other blog......and....my granddaugher, Margo,is autistic also! Your entries were so familiar and comforting! I am going to send your web site to my daughter! I think it will be inspirational to her. Margo is turning 4 Feb. 8th:)

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Goodness!!! These are just wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work!!!!

Very Mary said...

Just found you via Everyday is a Holiday and wanted to say "hi"! Loving your goodness!

Teresa said...

I love the boxes and yours too! I may just have to "art jack" this idea. Thanks for sharing, and the book sounds good too.

Anonymous said...

What a great box! Anything with glitter and paper always grabs my attention for sure.

Well, I hijacked YOU ArtsyMama, and then I also hijacked Nina Bagley's spirit houses.

I love this hijacking stuff - so fun!

http://mizsmoochielips.blogspot.com/

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

well you did a great job art-jacking that style. Your box is darling. Yay you!!

Anonymous said...

truly an amazing piece of art...love it...Kari you are really one very talented lady!!
xo

Kyla said...

Wow! So different! I just love it!

Anonymous said...

I've posted my "Wonder" challenge here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83858473@N00/374607859/

This time I called the piece "finished" before I thought it was complete. The artist I have been most influenced by is Chrysti at http://chrysti.wordpress.com/. She is such a giving artist, always willing to teach. And her work is amazing!

Nerissa Alford said...

I've just posted my "wonder" piece.
Nerissa

Nura Keif said...

hi,thanks for visiting my blog.The top paper i used is from Prima.Oh my,i love your blog!!You are so talented!!Have a great day!!:-D

xxxxx said...

Art jacking! What an interesting concept :-) I can't wait to get going on that prompt. Yes, I'm a bit behind but getting there...

I so love how you got inspiration from Lauren's art but made it your own. What a beautiful glittery box you created, a perfect Valentine's Day display!

Cheryl Connell said...

Just to let you know, I posted my Wonder piece at fromthepines.blogspot.com

Thanks!
Cheryl

Lisa Marie said...

I just got mine done tonight. This is really a fun challenge. Thanks!

http://creativespirit.typepad.com/cs/2007/02/cabinet_of_curi.html

Lisa

Kathy said...

I have just finished my 'wonder' page. Sorry I am a little late - but I have a VERY good reason!

xxxxx said...

I'm finally caught up :-) and have just posted my offering for prompt #4 on my blog. Can't wait to get going on the Inspiration prompt!

Bonnie said...

I'm finally done with my wonder prompt! :)

Bonnie said...

I am finally done with "wonder"!

MyMosaicMind said...

I finally finished my page for this wonder prompt. You can view at my blog. Kari, your boxes you did for this prompt are incredible!

http://mymosaicmind.blogspot.com/