Saturday, February 10, 2007

Cabinet of Curiosities: #6 {Collections}

Hope you're having a good weekend. I know I'm posting this early, but I think that some of you like to work on the challenges on the weekend, so here goes!

Is there something you collect?

col·lec·tion [kuh-lek-shuhn]:
1. the act of collecting.
2. something that is collected; a group of objects or an amount of material accumulated in one location, esp. for some purpose or as a result of some process: a stamp collection; a collection of unclaimed hats in the checkroom; a collection of books on Churchill.
3. the gathered or exhibited works of a single painter, sculptor, etc.: an excellent Picasso collection.
4. collections, the various holdings of an art museum organized by category, as painting, sculpture, works on paper, photography, or film: the director of the collections.

Maybe you collect teapots, figurines, santas...or natural objects when you take walks, or like many artists- ephemera from times past. I've been enjoying Lynne Perrella's column called Collectors Choice in Somerset Studio magazine for quite awhile. She talks about how "collections" are different than "accumulations." She said that collections speak to you, they have a story.

Think about what it is that you collect. Maybe it's quotes, or beautiful vintage paper...

I had a post a bit ago with a call out for photographs from all of you. I knew that people visit this blog from all over the world and I was interested in seeing one snapshot of something in your life. Thank you to all of you that answered my call! I collected them all together, along with the emails that came with each one. It was great fun to hear a little bit about each picture through the stories that you told. Pretty amazing. I made the two pieces of art in this post using your photos.

The challenge for this week is to make some sort of art out of something that you collect. It could be using the actual objects or maybe photographs. Anything you want to do. This is total freestyle art. I can't wait to see all the precious collections out there and how you choose to share them with us! Have fun:)

26 comments:

Fiona said...

Interesting. I think I do more accumulating thatn collecting maybe. Lovely collages, and not just cos I spot one javascript:void(0)
Publish Your Commentof my photos in there!

Anonymous said...

I love the second collage, I think I see my pic in it! How cool! I love the colors in that one, very soothing and serene. The colors are just beautiful in both. I might give the challenge a try, you've inspired me!!!

MyMosaicMind said...

Kari, those photo collages are stunning. I just love them! What a great idea. -Ginger

Anonymous said...

Oh Kari these are fabulous!!

Bonnie said...

Kari, what a cool idea! I love how you used everyone's photo's to make art work. Thank you for this prompt-really a lot to think about and do here! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo collages, I need to visit more often so I can catch you next challenge in time to participate!

Anonymous said...

Love the collage! I've just barely finished the last challenge, I better get busy! Now which collection do I want to use.... hmmm....

Chelle said...

I believe it was a an act of serendipity to have foud your lovely blog...Such a delightful collection of collages. I will be back, you can count on that...

Bonita Rose said...

llove your collages kari.. such a great idea.. I just may have to copy that idea.. so so neat!
hugs,
bonnierose

Gypsy Purple said...

Thanx for including my pic in the first one...wanted to join last week, but time caught up with me...so I`m in again for this one

Chamara

Monica said...

Hi Kari,
These collages are gorgeous. What a great idea! Thanks for using my kids picture in the first one :)

Latharia said...

Just beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had lots of fun on this one! Finished - wheew! Now I can go to bed :)
http://mizsmoochielips.blogspot.com/

gudrun said...

Totally love this challenge, Kari.
Yes, I am a collector...lol
Your page for this week is so beautyful and inspiering. Thanks for bringing all this joy into my everyday. :)

The French Nest said...

I love your photo collage. My mum and I worked on embellishing composition journals yesterday afternoon, and posted our pictures of the process in a collage as well. It's a beautiful way to display the pictures!

Jeanne said...

It was fun trying to spot our photos in your montage. Great work. I just posted two more COC pages. Almost caught up!

http://jeanneszewczyk.blogspot.com

xxxxx said...

I love those 2 pieces, and how fun to know you used pics from readers to make them with! Great idea! This new challenge has me all fired up! First I thought I'd have nothing to show because I am not much of a collector, (except of paper of course!) I almost missed the obvious though! Off to take photos and play a bit!

Juliann in WA said...

I finished my piece for the theme: Wonder - posted on my blog
http://juliannsblog.blogspot.com/
I am looking forward to working on the collections theme too. Thanks again for the great ideas and inspiration.
Juliann

Michelle Legler said...

I LOVE how these turned out!!! My mind is starting to spin with ideas.......hmmmmmmmmmm

Wendy Updegraff said...

I love your collages, very excited about the challange!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I love Lynn Perella's work. So beautiful!

Kathy said...

Yeay, I've finished! Thanks for another thought-provoking, fun challenge Kari. Can we have more than eight please?

Anonymous said...

Really really fabulous Kari!! So so cool!! Really fun to be a tiny part of such a fab creation!! Thanks!!

Love them to bits!
xoxo Jenny

Sharon Tomlinson said...

I'm caught up now and here to say I posted my Collection page....s
Enjoyed it.
Now I'm off the think about happiness.

xxxxx said...

I'm caught up :-) I completed my offering for this prompt on Sunday but only got a chance to post about it yesterday.

Nerissa Alford said...

Kari
This is so great! I love it. It's really cool how you used everyone's pics, I even see mine.
I've been really busy so mine is just a WIP. I hope to get the last prompt done this week.
Thanks for hosting this challenge. It's been so much fun and has really stretched me as an artist.
Nerissa