Thursday, December 27, 2007

Tara Frey {Bella Pink} Interview..


This time of year so many of us are thinking about a fresh new beginning to 2008, including new projects and new inspiration. I thought it would be fun to post an interview I did recently with the lovely and oh-so-inspiring Tara Frey, of Bella Pink. Enjoy!
All photos copyright Tara Frey

AM: Hi Tara, thanks so much for talking with me today. I first found your blog from your column in Romantic Homes magazine. You mention on your blog that you are an editorial contributor to several magazines. Which ones? That must be a fabulous job. How long have you been doing that?

TF: I started about a year and a half ago. It’s so rewarding being able to do a job that you love that it doesn’t feel much like work at all. It’s a thrill to scout products, boutiques and homes for magazines. I am most passionate about creative blogs and the talented inspiring women behind them. I feel like I am uncovering little jewels, twinkles of light that sparkle in every direction. Finding the inspiring blogs on the web and showing them to my editors gives me so much excitement and joy. I’m amazed on a daily basis of the talent within the blogging community. I am often asked what I look for in blogs to feature. So here are some basics I stick by: blogs that show an honesty and a sense of sharing. Sharing in all sorts of ways; a great recipe, where to find a fabulous product they recently purchased or even ‘how to’ instructions on something they have created. Most importantly...super PICTURES! Readers love to see photos. I also adore bloggers who also post about their personal lives and feel it’s a wonderful way to connect to your readers. I generally stay away from blogs that seem to be just one big advertisement for their website or products.

AM: You also have a gorgeous boutique called BellaPink.com. How did you get started with that? Were you selling your wares before that in stores or have you always been online?

TF: I love flea markets and estate sales. I sold on ebay in for a while but did not like the high fees. I figured I could take those fees and build an e-shop of my own. My goal was to create a real "boutique" feeling, that made you want to come in and shop, beautiful inside and out, feminine and chic where the "shelves" were stocked with goodies. When Bella Pink launched in 2004 it was greeted with an overwhelming response. I fulfilled my need to sell off my overstock and at the same time, it allowed me to continue to shop for treasures to sell online at my very own store. How satisfying and fun! Having an e-boutique has it's advantages, no rent to pay or employees. I'm able to spend time with the children, work from home and can come to work in my jammies! Plus we are open 24/7 so it's convenient for shoppers too. We have some exciting plans in 2008, lots of great surprises in store! AM: When did you start blogging? What was your inspiration for that? Does blogging help your creative process?
TF: I started my blog in 2006 (on blogspot) then switched to Typepad in January 2007. I started the blog to become more personal with my customers. I think it creates a real boutique feel as if the customer has strolled into the store and we are chit chatting about family, friends, etc. Blogging has allowed me to be more creative (ex: sharpening my photography skills, etc..) and a has been a wonderful outlet for me to express myself and share my daily life. Whether it be struggles or triumphs, the blogging community is there to cheer me on, support, encourage and inspire me! It also has opened so many new doors for me and opportunities that I could only dream of. I have been honored to be featured in national magazines. Having a blog is the best advertising tool out there! AM: What is a typical day like for you?
TF: I’m so lucky to be able to work from home and have a wonderful supportive husband.. We built a carriage house on our farmhouse property and my office is separate from the studio space. I get up very early grab a cup of coffee. Then I check emails while the kids are still asleep (sometimes my inbox has over 300 emails, so I need to get a jump start!) At 9:00am, I get the kids off to school, then it’s back to my home studio to fill orders, finish up on deadlines, work on press kits and media packs, answer emails, telephone calls and any projects that need attention, etc.. At 4:00 the kids come home (I have a 10 and 6 year old) So it’s all about them until they go to bed! Then I try to pick up where I left off, or depending on how tired I am, I’ll curl up with a book/magazine or catch up on the tube. Kind of boring. Our weekends are always jam packed with activities, but then again whose isn’t!?
AM: Tell us more about Wriskey?

TF: This has been an exciting project! We plan to launch in 2008. Wriskey has allowed me to express a funky side with this super cool product line. I’m excited to say it has caught the attention of some fabulous media outlets. It’s amazing the little buzz it has going. I received an inquiry the other day from a popular TV show and I thought someone was joking with me! I can’t wait to share with my blog friends when things are finalized!

AM: What inspires you?
TF: My family and friends

AM: What are your 10 ten indulgences?
TF: In no particular order...
Chocolate
Magazines
Vintage Chandeliers
Pillows
Oreos
Shoes, especially flip flops Hugs (and lots of them)
Flea Markets
My camera & taking photos!
Did I say chocolate already? lol

Thanks so much for chatting with us, Tara. You are such an inspiration.
Good luck in your new ventures in the new year!!

16 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Thanks for sharing your interview with Tara. It was great, loved the photos too.
Alison

Bonnie said...

Hi Kari!
Thanks for the lovely interview and ditto on the photos-such lovely pics -thanks for sharing!
Bonnie

Christi Snow said...

Kari, what an awesome interview! Thank you for sharing it!!! smiles...

Sharon said...

Thanks for the introduction to Tara. Great interview.

Sugar Bear said...

This is great! Thank you to both Tara and Kari.
Karla

Junie Moon said...

I really enjoyed reading this interview--her approach to life and enjoying all the treasures to be found in living happily is so lovely.

Flea Market Queen said...

What a wonderful interview with Tara!
Happy New Year...
Priscilla

Heartinmyhand said...

Kari, great interview. Love the wreath.

Tara said...

Kari, it was fun to do this (since I am the one usually asking the questions!) Thank you for featuring me and my little world, I'm honored and a forever fan of your crafty work! ~xo

Elizabeth said...

Hi Kari
I have so enjoyed my visit. We are kindred spirits. I love books and crafts.
I look forward to seeing what you make in 2008.
Blessings,
Elizabeth

Victoria said...

Hey Kari -
I love what you've done to your blog - your banner looks great!!!!!

Joy said...

Thanks for the little diddy on Tara...I enjoyed it! Have a wonderful New Year! Smiles, Joy

Vickie said...

Nice interview. I had to go visit after reading it. She's great. I love Tara's blog. Thanks for sharing.

the glitter fairy said...

Hi Kari,
Thanks for the wonderful interview and pictures on Tara. What a talent! I have enjoyed reading her blog for a while. Thanks for helping us to get to know her even better.
Happy New Year and all the best to you and yours in 2008!
Laurie

Tutti Chic said...

This is a WONDERFUL interview with one of my FAVorite bloggers & boutique owners! Such talent! thank you for posting about the talented tara! :) chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Tara!!! I am also a antique collector!! My Grandy (Grandmother)
and I always go search for antiques ( we call it junkin') and we have a love for decorating and the outdoors. You Tara will always be a inspiration to my artsy and creative side!!! ~xoxo