Monday, December 15, 2008

Shopping around...

With all of my Christmas shopping done (yay!) I have been "shopping" around online looking for inspiration for handmade gifts for family, friends and teachers. I am always floored by the unique ideas tumbling around in the blog-o-sphere. After seeing this on Cari's blog and then Heather's rendition, I thought it would be a fun simple gift for a group of friends. I shopped my own etsy shop (hehe!) and use the flowers from a vintage hat I had for sale. I also used vintage music sheets, thick grey velvet ribbon and some glittery paper I had recieved from Lilli. They're pretty and cozy, like little winter puffs. Perfect for our sub-zero temperatures that we're having.
They also look great nestled around a fun, happy hat I found at an estate sale this weekend.
For some time, I had been on the lookout for faux bois gift wrap. It's so trendy right now, I thought I may find some. Since I didn't, I decided to use the woodgrain shelf paper I had and wrap it around the gift. I shopped my own shop again (!) and used some of the burlap ribbon that I had. When I found the free printable tags on Vanessa's site, I knew that was the perfect touch for a quirky retro looking gift. Heather has been posting some amazing ideas for using vintage supplies to wrap gifts. She is incredible.
Hope you're enjoying your holiday preparations.

14 comments:

Lilli in Vancouver said...

Your decorated candles look glorious! Those blue flowers are so sweet :)

Way to think outside the box with the woodgrain wrapping

Linda Summerfield said...

I hope no one in my community needs those candles, I have been buying them the second they appear in our grocery store!
You have beautiful pics as usual!!!
Linda

Shell said...

I adore candles. I love how you dressed them up. Beautiful.

Andrea said...

Cute stuff, I love your new banner!!!

Malissa said...

I love your candles! My favorite (well, second favorite to making them of course)part of making group gifts is seeing how pretty they look in a bunch together finished!
I'll be stopping by here more!

Charlene said...

Oh I would love to shop your etsy shop. How do I get there. I hope I didn't miss the link on your site. But, I was hopping all over it looking at so many things.

Anonymous said...

I love the flowers on your candles-they really made them pop! Everything shown is so clever.

Anonymous said...

The candles are just wonderful. I have to try this, like, TONIGHT!

snowbear said...

Kari that was a great use of the flowers from the vintage hat! I think it reflects the wintry days beautifuly. I also like the sheet music look.. I think that adds to the holiday feel with all the carols we(I) listen to ..

Anonymous said...

I love the colours! Blues and whites are one of my favourite combinations!

Kimla Kay said...

Hello Kari!

You won a reindeer. Send me an email with your address and I'll get it off to you today. Thanks so much for playing. K.

AliGripp said...

I love, love your candles!! I just made one myself yesterday! You have a beautiful blog!

AliGripp said...

I love, love your candles!! I just made one myself yesterday! You have a beautiful blog!

Birds of a Feather said...

hi kari ~

they look wonderful!
glad your friends enjoyed!

wishing you a wonderful holiday that's cozy & bright ~
xo heidi